Electrical Installations Level 2
Construction, Planning and the Built Environment
What will you be working towards?
||Other Regulated/Accredited Qualification
This course will enable you to enter the electrical industry having gained in-depth skills and knowledge to prepare for an apprenticeship or work. A continuation of the pre-employment study programme following on from Year 1 in Electrical Installations course; enabling the learner to enhance previously learnt knowledge in preparation for an electrical apprenticeship. The course will enable the learner to explore:
- Principles of electricity and understanding the science behind electricity and its distribution
- Design and installation technologies employed within the electrical industry
- Installation of wiring systems and enclosures of specifications involved with electrical installations to comply
Health and safety is of paramount importance in all areas of the construction industry, and this will be reinforced throughout the course. Vocational core skills of English and Maths will be embedding in the programme along with specialist delivery to enable learners to reach GCSE grade C or equivalent standards to meet industry requirements.
On successfully completed this qualification you will be at an Improver/Electricians Mate level. In order to fully qualify as an electrician you will need to complete competence units to fully meet the performance criteria as laid down in the National Occupational Standards put together by Summit Skills and the Sector Skills Council.
Skills you can gain include:
- Develop independent study skills, a good work ethos through work experience and gaining confidence in one's own ability to present yourself well, becoming self-employed.
- Discover entrepreneurial skills to develop own talent to succeed.
- The presentation of professional documents.
- C V Writing & Successful Interview techniques.
- The importance of customer service.
- Maths and English skills needed in day to day life.
- Team working to complete projects.
How will it be delivered?
Students will need to carry out personal research to enable them to successfully complete the course and guidance on this will be given by the course tutors.
Your skills and knowledge will be continuously assessed throughout the course; additionally each unit will be assessed by end multiple choice examinations and practical tests. Support will be provided through regular meetings with your course tutor.
To access this course you will need to have successfully completed Level 1 Electrical Installations and hold a grade 4 in Maths.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Your next steps...
Successful completion of all elements of this study programme will allow you to progress in several different ways,
- Further full time training, Level 3 Diploma in Electrical installations
- Gaining employment within the Electrical industry and undertake an Advanced Apprenticeship scheme to gain further qualifications and experience