Our A-Level in Chemistry will help you build on your previous scientific study to develop and apply skills and understanding in aspects of analytical, organic, inorganic and physical chemistry which are relevant to higher education, research and employment.
There is a significant amount of practical work included, both to develop skills and understanding and as assessed coursework units.
Students will follow a programme of class teaching with laboratory practical tasks both in groups and as individuals. Group discussions and independent research projects are also included. The course is assessed by three examinations ranging in duration from 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes and one non-exam assessment.
- Module 1: Development of Practical Skills in Chemistry
- Module 2: Foundations in Chemistry
- Module 3: Periodic able and Energy
- Module 4: Core Organic Chemistry
- Module 5: Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements
- Module 6: Organic Chemistry and Analysis
For the generic A-Level Programme you will need:
- GCSE grade 4 or above in English Language and Maths, plus at least 3 more GCSEs at grade 5 or above
For this specific A-Level you will need:
- GCSE grade 4 or above in English Language, GCSE grade 6 and above in Maths, Grade 6 or above in Chemistry (6-5 in Combined Science) and at least 2 more GCSEs at grade 5 or above