Art and Design Level 2 UAL
Arts, Media and Publishing
What will you be working towards?
||Other Regulated/Accredited Qualification
The UAL Awarding Body Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design has been designed to provide students with the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to progress to further study and training in a range of art and design subjects, including fine art, photography, graphic design, textiles with fashion product design and design crafts. The qualification's structure provides a linked introduction to the broad context within which art and design activity sits.
The qualification is made up of 9 Units, 7 Units are mandatory and 2 Units are Optional. All units are related to the art and design sector, all are delivered through vocational learning.
• Project based in-class exercises to develop in depth understanding of formal art and design language: line, texture, tone, shape, form and colour etc.
• Applied and differentiated recording methods to analyse, evaluate, review historical genre, popular culture, current art forms, trends, fashion and wider topical issues to inform arts practice.
• Planning, Organisation and thinking skills aligned to art and design practice.
• Real industry ready skills embedded into competitions and live assignments e.g. planning, costing materials, teamwork and collaboration, goals setting and meeting deadlines.
• Broad experimental experiences in materials, techniques and processes in the form of observational drawing, graphic image making, mixed-media, sculpture, design crafts, printmaking, photography, digital image manipulation and film based experimental photography.
• Structured and self-directed project management and independent study around self-promotion and reflection and review based within a dedicated Apple Mac Suite and PC Suite.
• You will need to have 3 GCSEs at grade 9 - 3 (A* - D) to ideally include an art or design related subject, or an Introductory Diploma in Art & Design or a Level 1 BTEC Diploma.
• A portfolio of recent work must be presented at the Welcome Event that reflects your study of an arts related GCSE qualification achieved thus far and your interest in the arts area.
• Show at Welcome Event an interest in the Art & Design Industry.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Your next steps...
Employability skills and industry experience e.g. team working, self-promotion and survival skills, curating and analysing health and safety issues for site specific art/design work, project management, listening skills, adaptability and flexibility via live assignments, collaborative projects and entrepreneurial activity. Portfolio preparation for internal / external progression onto Level 3 art and design and alternative progression choices.
This qualification helps you to progress on to:
• UAL Level 3 Diploma /Extended Diploma in Art and Design Study Programmes in: General Art and Design, Textiles with Fashion; Graphic Design and Photography.
• Traineeship, apprenticeships within the wider commercial/creative based industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College. Employment e.g. junior assistant in shop/window display or arts/crafts retail industry.
Please note in order to progress to a UAL Level 3 Diploma /Extended Diploma in Art and Design Study Programmes you will need to achieve a Pass for your UAL Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design.