Creative Media Production (Games Development) Level 3 UAL
Arts, Media and Publishing
What will you be working towards?
||Other Regulated/Accredited Qualification
Level 3 Games Development at Cambridge Regional College firmly places students on their first steps into the games industry. Learners will gain experience with multiple tools, software and processes in order to learn how to design, develop and publish their very own games whilst focusing on one of two specialist pathways; Games Art or Games Programming.
Year 1, UAL L3 Diploma
UCAS Points – Pass (36) Merit (60) Distinction (84)
The first year of the course introduces students to Programming, Art, Design, Audio, Game Theory and Professional Practice. Students engage with these topics through a series of project-based assignments that enable learners to explore their chosen specialism within a broader game development context. This fully prepares them to embark on their Final Major Project half way through the year where they're encouraged to develop a personal project or collaborate in a team to create a playable game.
Year 2, UAL L3 Extended Diploma
UCAS Points – Pass (72) Merit (120) Distinction (168)
Students progressing onto the second year of the course will further develop their skillset and refine processes to begin producing marketable products. Students will be encouraged to develop projects across a range of platforms, work collaboratively to better understand studio based practice and develop their own specialised portfolios preparing for University and beyond.
How will it be delivered?
A range of methods, which may include projects, assignments, case studies, course work, self-assessment, feedback from clients and panel reviews, continually assesses course work. Grades from Pass, Merit, Distinction may be awarded to course work.
The Study Programmes are over 5 days each week.
There is regular one to one tutorial provision.
• You will need 4 GCSEs at grades 9 - 4 (A* - C), or Level 2 UAL Diploma in Creative Media Production at a Pass, Level 2 BTEC Certificate/Extended Certificate or First Diploma in Creative Media – Pass level.
• GCSE English language grades 9 - 4 (A* - C) is essential and GCSE Maths grades 9 - 4 (A* - C) is highly desirable.
• To show at Welcome Event an interest in the games industry by bringing some concept drawings and level designs for a games in the form of a sketchbook although this is not obligatory.
• We would like to see that you are interested in the wider games industry and not just in playing games.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Your next steps...
This qualification helps you to progress on to:
• BA/BSc/FdA at a Higher Education institution or to our HNC/D Media courses in either Journalism or Games Development
• Apprenticeships within the wider commercial/games and creative based industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College
• Employment e.g. games company as a QA tester, video capture, entry level roles or other media related industry