Art, Design and Media Level 1 UAL
Arts, Media and Publishing
What will you be working towards?
||Other Regulated/Accredited Qualification
This Level 1 Study Programme provides a key foundation in developing your confidence and study skills. The Study Programme allows you to choose a specialist pathway in either Media or Art and will help to inform your progression to a focussed specialist area at Level 2.
Over the academic year you will study a number of combined core units covering interactive and digital design, photography and media communication which will support you in developing your skills, knowledge and understanding of Media, Art and Design. On your chosen pathway you will learn from specialist lecturers who will help you develop practical skills in a professional environment including:
- Digital Portfolio
Art & Design Pathway
- 3D design
In addition to your core subject choice, you will study English, Maths and IT. These subject areas are vitally important for your progression into employment, apprenticeships, higher education or to progress to the next level course.
The course will provide you with the opportunity to develop your:
• Professional skills e.g. your ability to identify and solve problems, improving your organisation and communication skills as well as becoming confident, adaptable and supportive of others
• Project planning and presentation techniques, both written and verbal
• English and Maths through either a Functional Skills or GCSE retake programme
• English, Maths and IT skills through the vocational assignments
• CV and interview practice techniques ready for progression
• Employability skills e.g. self-management, organisation, problem-solving, team work and leadership
• Personal values and demonstrate adaptability, sensitivity, reliability and be supportive to your peers by working with other Level 1 learners on collaborative projects
How will it be delivered?
• Course work is continually assessed by a range of methods which may include projects, assignments, case studies, course work, self-assessment, feedback from tutors and peer reviews. The grade of pass may be awarded to course work.
• The Study Programmes are over 3 days each week.
• There is regular one to one and group tutorial provision.
You will need 2 GCSEs at grade 9 - 2 (A* - E) or above.
• To show at Welcome Event an interest in either Media or Art and a willingness and openness to learn new skills and techniques.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Your next steps...
This qualification helps you to progress on to:
• UAL Level 2 Award/Diploma in Creative Media Production and Technology
• UAL Level 2 Award/Diploma in Art & Design
• UAL Level 2 Award/Diploma in Music Performance & Production
• Traineeships, apprenticeships within the wider commercial/creative based industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College
• Employment at a junior assistant level in industry
Please note in order to progress to a UAL Level 2 Award/Diploma in Creative Media Production and Technology or UAL Level 2 Award/Diploma in Art & Design, you will need to achieve a pass for the full Level 1 Diploma in Art, Design & Media.