Apprenticeship Standard Chef de Partie
Retail and Commercial Enterprise
What will you be working towards?
Our Apprentice Chef de Partie Standard provides the knowledge, skills and behaviours to develop a chef's career.
You will learn to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of:
• Culinary - influences of food trends, seasonality, customer preferences and use of technology on menu development, preparation, cooking and finishing methods of advanced dishes and managing resources.
• Food safety practices in line with legislation.
• People - brief, coach and motivate others and understand the importance of training to maximise team performance.
• Business - business strategy, customer profiles, principles of profit and loss, supply chain management, legislative responsibilities and risk assessment.
You will learn to demonstrate the following skills:
• Culinary - review menus in line with business requirements, advanced craft preparation and cooking skills and effective planning to control resources.
• People - brief, coach and motivate team and excellent communication.
• Business - techniques to improve competitiveness, performance, profit, costing dishes, sustainable working practices and legal requirements.
You will learn, understand and demonstrate behaviours to meet the needs of customers and business and team members in line with a Chef de Partie's role.
How will it be delivered?
This qualification is delivered at college for 1 day per week and reinforced and developed in the workplace. This will provide the skills set, knowledge-based elements of the Apprenticeship, Values and Behaviours, Functional Skills and meet the 20% off the job training.
Level 3 apprentices will be assessed to the Apprenticeship standard using a variety of complementary assessment methods:
There are three stages of assessment:
- On-programme stage - observations with supplementary evidence
- Gateway stage - successful completion of the skills and knowledge, values and behaviours, functional skills and training hours
- End-point assessment. Two external examiner, practical observations - .Workplace observation-duration 4 hours. College culinary challenge observation-duration 3 hours. A professional discussion plus an on line examination.
Functional skills is delivered and assessed in block weeks at college, with flexibility, relating to the service industry sector.
This level 3 qualification is for Chefs with at least 2 years recent experience. To enrol, you MUST be employed over 30 hours per week in a salon, to start an Apprenticeship, please contact us should you need help in finding suitable employment.
Apprentices are paid a wage by the employer. Your employer is required to give you a contract of employment, which will include holiday entitlement and all other benefits.
You will also need to have achieved the NVQ Level 2 in Professional Cookery or equivalent and be currently employed in a suitable catering environment for 30 hours per week. Your job role should provide you with the opportunities for Level 3 Chef de Partie skills.
Entry onto the L3 Apprenticeship Framework or standard requires 2 x C Grades / 2 x Grade 4 or above in Maths and English
We currently offer pre apprenticeship courses for applicants, in Maths and English, to support learners wishing improve their grades to meet the entry criteria. Learners should have secured employment.
All applicants will be interviewed- this includes maths and English skills scan, a trade test and a formal interview
Your next steps...
Chef de Partie at various establishments including restaurants, hotels, gastro pubs, caterers and University of Cambridge college kitchens.