Gain in-depth knowledge of the culture and society of Spain and speak a foreign language fluently.
If you dream of speaking a foreign language fluently and impressively, and perhaps even working abroad, studying a language can help you to achieve these goals. It will equip you with a variety of unique skills that will be invaluable in the future.
Debates and discussions in the classroom will give you a broad perspective on a wide range of issues, and topics and through this you will become more knowledgeable and better informed.
You will also gain in-depth knowledge of Spain and Spanish speaking countries. Topics will include social issues and trends, as well as the opportunity to explore cultural themes through film or literature.
Native speaking Foreign Language Assistants work in the Modern Languages department and are available to help and support you with small group conversation work. We also run a peer mentoring scheme as well as providing the opportunity for you to take part in an exchange link to Spain.
"I have really enjoyed doing Spanish at A level at Hills Road and I would recommend it to other students because I think, while challenging, it’s very rewarding and the trips are amazing." Dot Foster, Spanish student.
• Aspects of Hispanic society (Modern and traditional values, Cyberspace, Equal rights)
• Artistic culture in the Hispanic world (Modern day idols, Spanish regional identity, Cultural heritage)
• Multiculturalism in Hispanic society (immigration, racism, integration, )
• Aspects of political life in the Hispanic World (Today’s youth and tomorrow’s citizens, monarchies and dictatorships, popular movements)
• A film in Year 12, Volver
• A literary text in Year 13, Requiem por un campesino español
Spanish is also a popular subject in highly recognised universities.
Employers value people with language skills highly. All universities consider a modern language A-Level as a facilitating subject. At Higher Education level, you can do languages on their own or combine them with another subject such as History, Law or Business.
Students with degrees in Spanish can opt for a good range of employment opportunities related to several fields such as business, travel and tourism, teaching, amongst others.